Monday, February 25, 2008

More Bliss

Last night when we got back to our dirty, noisy campsite in San Martin, I realized what I forgot to write about yesterday.

We saw a Tarantula! It was the second time we hiked up to Los Lagos, and there he was, just chillin on the side of the path. He just sat there. Joel went to get the camera out...and the batteries died. Of course, eh? But we saw him (or her), it was sooo huge and furry. Eeww. I´m getting shivers just thinking about it.

And, we spent the night of the 23rd in Pucon and stayed at a campground on Lago Villarrica, it was a cloudy day making for the coolest sunset ever. Pucon has Volcan Villarrica in the background, and the snow and steam off the top from the Volcan turned pink! Amazing. We have pictures I´d love to share, but unfortunately this computer doesn´t recognize our memory card.

Tomorrow we take a bus to El Bolson (6 hours) and will probably be there for a bit.

It doesn´t look like we´ll be going too much futher South. Bus tickets get too expensive. For us to get to and from Torres del Paine it would be over $700. Ouch. I guess it waits for another trip (Hanna & Craig - you in?). Joel is sooo dissapointed. But staying in one place for a few weeks will help the budget and my back from carrying my backpack around.

It has been another language twist for us here. Just as I was starting to understand some Chilian Spanish we come to another country that has their own ways of saying things. The ´ll´ isn´t a ´y´ sound anymore, it´s a ´jy´ or something like that. And the number 8 isn´t pronounced ´ocho´ it´s like ´hoacho´ or something. We dropped of lanundry (yea! no more funky smell!) and the woman said something with ´hoacho´ but we had no idea what she said. We replied ¨no entiendo [I don´t understand] ´hoacho´¨ and she looked at us really funny. She wrote down 8:00 on a paper, and we exclaimed ¨oh, ocho!¨ and she said ¨sì¨. Oh boy. I miss Bolivia and Peru with their phonetically correct speaking.

¡Ciao!

5 comments:

momdonna said...

Thanks for updates, good to know that you're enjoying everything still.

Valerie Comer said...

Good to hear from you!

Dea said...

hi you guys good to hear your both well and enjoying your trip, have a happy birthday joel, take care love you

Kait said...

Hi Guys - this is Hanna's friend Kait. I just wanted to wish Joel a very happy birthday. And to remind you both to be safe! I hope that the two of you have a lot more fun while you're traveling. Oh and congrats on seeing the tarantula. That would have just about killed me, I think!

Jen said...

Joel says ´thanks for the birthday wishes´!